Saturday 3 March 2012

Suicide in the 21st Century

I am so pleased that both David Rathband and his brother Darren have given me reason to write on this subject.  It is one close to my heart.
My wife died suddenly 3 years ago and for the two following years I was desperately suicidal.  It became my mindset that anyone should have the right to commit suicide, but without the stigma that causes it to be called suicide.  I want to consider it an aspect of euthanasia. If someone was dying from a terminal cancer and tormented with pain and symptoms it would be socially acceptable and seen as an option if they wish to end their life. However, if someone is mentally and emotionally tormented, ending a life is stigmatised and not seen as a valid option. Both pains are equally as debilitating, however one is less visible to the outside and less understood.  Due to social indoctrination we tend to accept euthanasia more than we do suicide (both as words and deeds) .  Unfortunately they cannot be interchangeable because euthanasia is a third party event, something done to/for one, and suicide is done to oneself.  
I have come out of my suicidal period now but meaning and purpose to life have left me.  I lived for my wife, to be her partner in life, to live my life facilitating her to be the best she could be and sharing her burdens and joys of life together.  
If I was to face death right now I would do so happily, knowing I had lived my life doing the best I can and with only one regret - that of starting smoking when I was eight years old.  However I am no longer actively seeking my demise, though mood swings do sometimes cause me to reconsider that position.
My suicidal thoughts were brought about by mental trauma which has caused me 3 years of pain and suffering.  Why should that not be considered a suitable case for euthanasia?
I have no argument with those who successfully kill themselves.  I would never condemn them but nor would I condone their deed.  I can positively understand but not approve their deed.  
In the case of David Rathband I fear the support he was offered was insufficient.  Budget restrictions should be no excuse for lack of service - budgets should be unlimited in health issues. I am not an economist but it would be interesting to see an analysis between the NHS budget cuts in mental health in the Iast few years and the 5 fold increase in the suicide rate.  
In David Rathband' and my sort of situation we are encouraged to ask for help, its called taking responsibility for ourselves.  However, and probably mainly for men, this is not easy.  Calling a crisis line saying 'I want to kill myself' is not easy to do.  Words like 'take responsibility' and 'ask for help' are easy to say, but not so easy to do.  We (men) suffer throughout life with pride and stereotypical macho image issues, and these are no easier just because we are desperately in need of support.  We still cannot ask for help.
Did people consider David Rathband' character as they heard him say 'no I'm great everything is fine'?  Or did they only consider his need to take responsibility in asking for help.  Mental health workers will state that patients/clients have human rights and that these rights stop them intervening. People have rights for choices and have capacity to make their own decisions however - there is a point where workers can and should intervene - again getting back to the point that society does not perceive suicide to be a choice or an option and the medical powers that be can and do take the right and choice away from people. I don't think it is anyone's right to kill themself. I think it is a privilege, not a right.  Knowing David' character, there should, in my opinion, have been forced intervention, or sectioning as it is called, until a full and more accurate assessment of his state of mind could be made.


+++  FREE VOUCHER +++
Click on the link below for a voucher to get 2 Main courses for £12.95 at Zizzi Ristorante vaild until 11.3.12
http://bit.ly/yRHiz

No comments:

Post a Comment